Thursday, June 20, 2013

Where do I fall on the technology integration matrix?

Could we add a slot called 'good intentions'?  Several times I have started using a technology in order to be a role model for our district's administrators, but then, often because the old way 'seems' faster, abandoned the google docs, or the LiveBinders, or the ..... and reverted back to emails and paper handouts and ...  I say 'seems' faster because it is faster at first -- learning to use a new technology isn't easy. I can remember how difficult and slow it was to type (on the old typewriters -- remember those?) until I practiced it, used it, and got to 100 wpm... I need to move past the 'good intentions' and take the extra time now to learn, and practice, and conquer those new technologies...

2 comments:

  1. Sherri,
    I think 'good intentions' is perfectly okay. You are at least conscious of and are trying to use technology in a meaningful way in your classroom. Sometimes people think that using technology has to be an all the time for everything sort of thing, and really, if something doesn't work for you or for your students - for whatever reason - it's okay to do what DOES work best for you. I think by the same token, if you're embracing and letting students use the tools that THEY are most comfortable with, (which may be their smart phone, using iMovie to make something, or presenting via an app on their device, or a myriad of other tools and things) then you're doing a great job. I think we can all take extra time to learn and practice new technologies to conquer them - I bet your students would love to help! :) (And I'll be honest, I never liked/got into LiveBinders but I know people that swear by them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri,

    I agree with Lesley, I think good intentions are perfectly okay. You have to start somewhere and it sounds like you are open to new, and unknown, ways of teaching. With so many differently technologies out there it's best to focus on learning 1; otherwise, at least for me, it can get a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete